Labels

Thursday, June 2, 2011

1001 Albums: 0431 - 0440: The Wheat Is Growing Thin!

The seventies continue to roll on by, we're up too about 1979 I think. This pack was better then the last one, with one of my all time favourites to be found, and some nice, if not completely memorable surprises. That's all I got. These posts are getting hard to write!

The B-52's
0431 The B-52s – The B-52s (1st Album) - Ah yes! The B-52s make their glorious appearance on the list with this, their debut record. Fans of “Love Shack” may be surprised at the low-fi, almost surf sounds on this one, but it’s entirely charming. “Rock Lobster” will prove to be their first “hit”, but the whole thing is well worth a listen or 50.

Movies
0432 Holger Czukay – Movies - This is an album I did not like, but I did think it clever. So it’s weird like that. It’s basically jazzy mood music, but with cut ups and sampling from I’m guessing movies as well as other things. So it’s kind of neat, and I’m sure progressive for 1979. I just would rather listen to something else. I kept thinking "This guy probably came up with that Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers” stuff, which in my case is never a good thing.*

Reggatta De Blanc
0433 The Police – Reggatta de Blanc - Another solid Police album! I think I already mentioned how much I dislike Sting as a solo artist, but man, this band was good back in the day! This one is a step up in production from the previous album, but still keeps a touch of the raw sound that is so sorely lacking in Stings solo work. “Message In A Bottle” is the opener and I think a hit for the band, but the whole thing works as an album.

Live At The Witch Trials (Expanded Edition)
0434 The Fall – Live at the Witch Trials - On this debut album, The Fall failed to impress me much. I guess it was a decent punk debut, but nothing really stood out. The best thing about it is the cool title I’m afraid.

Fear Of Music [w/Bonus Tracks]
0435 Talking Heads – Fear of Music - Talking Heads third album- are we going to get their whole catalog? Anyways, it was good, but not as impressive as their first two. It was more polished and better produced, by Eno no less, but nothing grabbed me like the first two. So it’s a bit of a pass.

Unknown Pleasures [Collector's Edition]
0436 Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures - Of course Joy Division would make this list! I saw the movie “Control” so I know all about this tragic band. They were all really sad, and wrote sad songs. Then the lead singer killed himself. Ah Joy Division! I’m not a big fan. I’ve given their music more chances then I should and I just find myself not getting into it. The albums not bad for a debut. That’s about all I can say, I’m sure there are fanatics out there that can praise it for me.

Risque
0437 Chic – Risqué - Another disco sounding R&B album. If you like that type of music you should like this. The only memorable thing about this one for me is one of the songs on it was sampled on a song on my beloved “Electric Breakdance” tape that I had when I was in grade 4 or 5. That tape came with a poster that showed you how to do sweet moves like the wavy arms thing and The Worm. Man, I loved that tape! This album wasn’t as good. That tape better appear on this list!

The Undertones
0438 The Undertones – The Undertones (1st Album) - A rather enjoyable punk offering that leans a bit to the pop side. I never heard of them, it’s a shame they didn’t do more. Or maybe they did. I should probably wikipedia some of these.

London Calling
0439 The Clash – London Calling - What is there to say about Rolling Stone Magazines number 8 album of all time that hasn’t been said before? The answer is NOTHING! I’ve loved this one since i first heard it, and I loved it yesterday when I listened to it again. And I loved it when I played it in Rock Band 3 since you can buy it there too! So yeah, not really a bad song on it, even though they stretch into other genres more then you think they should. As a two LP set (in it’s original incarnation) none of the songs feel like filler. The music contained sounds both spontaneous and tight. It gets a full recommend!

Quiet Life
0440 Japan – Quiet Life - I fell asleep and woke up in 1983! Not really, but this album sure sounds like it’s from 1983, which is probably why it’s on this list. It’s pretty ground breaking since nothing on this list hinted at it. Anyways, this album would fit perfectly in a shirts off cuddle with Duran Duran and Flock Of Seagulls. Not a bad album, the production was a bit off so the vocals didn’t sound quite sweet enough. This album also has a pretty bad cover of The Velvet Undergrounds "All Tomorrows Parties". It proves that no one should try covering The Velvet Underground. Still, worth a check out if you’re into this type of music.

There it is! Next post will see us hitting 450 titles, and the dawn of the Eighties! Isn't that exciting? Even a little bit? Kind of? I mean, it's not like winning a lottery, but still, as far as listening to music based on lists it's not bad... oh go chase yourself then!

*Curiosity got the best of me, so I wiki'd this one. This guy was one of the originators of that band "Can" that had me so miffed on earlier posts. There's apparently a secret history of Rock in which Can is the greatest band in the world. Who knew? I still have to watch that documentary on the band that I found.

5 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you've not heard of The Undertones but I suppose they might be more of a UK band, maybe didn't break big over your side. I don't know if you've heard of a DJ called John Peel but he was pretty much regarded as the Grandaddy of cutting edge music over here and he made The Undertones pretty big 'cause he decided their single Teenage Kicks was the best pop recorded ever recorded, he did rankings every year and always made it number one right through to when he died four or five years ago.

    I like that you've tried to like Joy Division so many times as well, I have that record and keep trying it every few years but I just don't like it. Love will tear us appart is an awesome song of theirs but I think that's their only real break-out one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Farwall! I agree, Love Will Tear Us Apart is a great song. There was an equally good song on here, but I can't remember what the title is and I'm too lazy to look it up. It played at the beginning of that movie I think ha ha.

    I've heard of John Peel, manly from discs coming out called "The John Peel Sessions" for misc bands. The Undertones wasn't one of those though. That "Teenage Kicks" is a damned good song though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit... I was reading through thinking about what interesting bits I would comment on, and the two things that I wanted to mention were about Joy Division (particularly my love of Love Will Tear Us Apart) and Teenage Kicks by The Undertones. But noooo, someone already came and said those things, so now I just get to ramble on instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you can explain what we're missing with Joy Division! Thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete