Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2011

1001 Albums: 0411 - 0420: We Are NOT Men

Howdy doodles reader friends! It's that time, another recap of music you will probably never listen too, but oddly enjoy reading about! I presume you enjoy reading about this music, you have clicked on the blog after all! Some of you crazies even subscribe! WOW! Here's the list, it was decent enough, with one of my favourite bands making a debut. Hurrah for favourites!

Doa
0411 Throbbing Gristle – DOA: Third & Final Report - The first track on this sounded like the old VIC-20 data tapes used to if you played them on a cassette deck. Which means it sounded pretty terrible. Then it got worse. This one is a no go. It’s called “Throbbing Gristle”, it should of been better then this!

'Live And Dangerous'
0412 Thin Lizzy – Live & Dangerous - “Live & Obnoxious” more like it. Ha ha! I made a pun! Hollywood, I’m available for any script punch ups you need! This band recorded “The Boys Are Back In Town”, and it’s on here. If you like that song, you’ll like this in all it’s guitar soloing, drum soloing glory. Oh, and Huey Lewis on harmonica! (Might not be THE Huey Lewis, but if it is*, it’s the only stand out thing on here.)

More Songs About Buildings And Food [w/Bonus Tracks]
0413 Talking Heads – More Songs About Buildings & Food - I didn’t really notice these songs being specifically about buildings and food. There was no “vegetables” type song or “This Ol’ House”. It was really good though! I have to say, these old Talking Heads are pretty solid!

Another Music In A Different Kitchen (Special Edition) [Explicit]
0414 Buzzcocks – Another Music in a Different Kitchen - Prior to being a BBC panel show, the Buzzcocks were a band. A great punk band as it turns out! I liked this one. It wasn’t as over the top political as the Clash, or as unreasonably pissy as the Pistols. It was right in the middle and great.

Van Halen
0415 Van Halen – Van Halen - 80’s metal starts right here! I’ve loved this album since first hearing it sometime in the 80s around when “1984” came out. David Lee Roth is in amazing form singing songs that make no sense at all. Add in a crack band and one of the all time great guitar players, and this album is a party! (I think by my ending this review like that, I’m officially ready to be published in a music magazine or “Entertainment Weekly”)

Siembra 30th Anniversary Edition
0416 Willie Colón & Rubén Blades – Siembra - This was Latin samba type music. That’s all I got, I’m not a big enough fan of this to not be kind of bored by it, or know if it’s exceptional. If you want to samba dance and drink rum&cokes this is for you I guess? (I don't even know what a samba is, if I’m being honest...)

The Cars
0417 The Cars – The Cars - Weirdo Ric Okasic and his weirdo band The Cars make a stunning debut! I always liked The Cars, and that video for “You Might Think”. The music is great on here, “Moving In Stereo” is permanently etched in every mans mind if they were a teenager when they saw “Fast Times At Ridgemont High”. The rest of the album is just as good. As that song, not just the memory of topless Phoboe Cates. It’s also great fun to play on Rock Band**!

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! [Deluxe Remastered Edition]
0418 Devo – Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo - I love pretty much everything there is to love about Devo. From the music to the concept. This is a great album. It’s been awhile since I’ve spun it, so it was interesting to be reminded just how guitar based they were at the start. Anyways, this is highly recommended.

Dire Straits
0419 Dire Straits – Dire Straits - I would of thought Dire Straits on this list would of been all about that “Money For Nothing” album, whatever it was called. Ends up they began way back here. It sounds pretty much the same. Easy going music played splendidly, but not super interesting to me.

Eternally Yours
0420 The Saints – Eternally Yours - Another punk band I don’t think I ever heard of. It was good and rather solid. Not as impressionable as other punk bands have been from this era though.

So I'm giving Devo the no-prize on this one since they are just great. Sure, they peter out a bit after 1984 or so, but their new album Fresh from last year was a great return.

I am now going to do something different and highlight another blog. You should check out My Beautiful Disaster. On top of being a fun and interesting blog, just look at how god damned pretty it is! How does she do it? I can't figure it out! I plan to meet up with her for sushi one day so I can trick her into an alley, split her head open, and learn the secrets to creating a pretty blog like that! That's how you learn things, you take peoples heads and absorb their knowledge and power. I learned it in Highlander. I mean, look at the tabs based on the labels on that blog! God damn it! It's too damned clever!

That's it, it's long weekend time after one more sleep! Hooray! I'm hoping the Christian rapture comes true. Not because I'm Christian, I'm not. I read the Left Behind series of books on the rapture, and post rapture is a FUCKING PARTY! It's off the hook people! And if stuff gets too hot, you can just accept Jesus in to your life and you're all set for Heaven! A total "Get Out Of Jail Free" card! Awesome sauce!

*I read the wiki, it is!

** Available as a down loadable album in Rock Band, but sadly, not with keyboards!

2 comments:

  1. If we're allowed to do blog recommendations, try this http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

    Sadly she's been busy so less new stuff lately, but just go back to the start and read. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey! Recommend blogs on your own blog Missy! I have a hard enough time keeping readers! :P

    That blog is sweet, I'll have to read it roper later, stupid work is fuckin my shit up.

    ReplyDelete