Labels

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

1001 Albums: 0401 - 0410: I Don't Have A Clever Title

Another ten are done blah blah blah. It was kind of unexceptional despite some nice surprises. So lets have a gander and I'll point out the faves in the recap!

This Year's Model
0401 Elvis Costello – This Year’s Model - Not to be outdone by Pere Ubu, Elvis Costello decides to crank out a quick second album too! This one though, is much better then Pere Ubu's terrible one. In fact, it's better then his own first album. The songs are a bit more raw, but really work to make this a tight one. Good stuff!

All Mod Cons
0402 The Jam – All Mod Cons - I was fully intending to all out hate this and I didn't. For reasons unknown, I've had a long standing irrational dislike for The Jam. Having listened to this, they're not all that bad. I didn't recognize any of it, so hopefully if they show up again, it wont be with that unknown song I heard and hated. If it was even the Jam....

Honky Tonk Masquerade
0403 Joe Ely – Honky Tonk Masquerade - I've heard of Joe Ely, but I never actually listened to him. At least I didn't recognize any of this. It's not bad, but the country on this is starting to lean to that horrible over produced 80's country that I don't like. It's right on the line so I could still tolerate the sound of this. The songwriting though, is pretty great.

Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts
0404 The Adverts – Crossing the Red Sea with the…This one started with some solid punk with a song called "One Chord Wonders". Now there was actually more then one chord played in that song, so this band is a bunch of liars. It's OK though since they are actually pretty damned solid. Basic no frills punk from a band better then they claim to be.

Third/Sister Lovers
0405 Big Star – Third (aka Sister Lovers) - This one was really good. A much more laid back affair then their previous one on this list. It also sounded more live and raw with a stark sound. It totally fit for an overall mood. There's a couple of covers on here, including a Velvet Underground one which also fit the mood since this reminded me of their 3rd album. Anyways, yeah, this is good, I might actually listen to this again!

Duck Stab
0406 The Residents – Duck Stab/Buster & Glen - All through this list I've been bitching about improv sounding music and electronic noise. I am now going to contradict all of that by saying that I really liked this album. I am human, and I am capable of growing in tastes! This is electronic-y and kind of noisy, but it seemed to also have a point and there was absolutely a sense of melody and ideas to the songs. So there you go, The Residents are pretty great on this record!

Public Image Ltd
0407 Public Image Ltd – Public Image - Uh oh. The Sex Pistols have fizzled out, and Johnny Rotten is now John Lydon and leading a new wave band. This was pretty terrible, aside from the title song. Around that title song you have pompous social commentary and it all sounds like shit.

Real Life
0408 Magazine – Real Life - This one was really forgettable. As in I listened to it a couple days ago and I don't remember a thing about it.

Darkness On The Edge Of Town (2010 Remastered Version)
0409 Bruce Springsteen – Darkness on the Edge of Town - Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I actually really liked this Springsteen album! I think you can get kicked out of Canada for that. The songs sounded more honest then Bruce typically does, and it was much more interesting then the "Born In The USA" stuff.

One Nation Under a Groove
0410 Funkadelic – One Nation Under a Groove - At first I was disappointed with this since it was more of a guitar heavy, rock type vibe then a shake your booty funk vibe. It really won me over though, the guitar playing on this is superb. I think Eddie Hazel is the man responsible for the amazing playing, and it really is worth checking out.

So there it is! A rather eclectic collection of music. Highlights were Funkadelic, Big Star and The Residents. The Residents were a true and proper surprise for me too, I hope they show up again in the future.

Until then, I don't know just do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment