Labels

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Review! The Sadies Live At The Starlight Room



I had a rare leaving of the house last week, and caught a live show at the Starlight Room. I still have fond memories of this place from back in the day when it was "The Bronx" and you could catch an SNFU show for $5... but I'm old and this is not about nostalgia!

Show started three Jack n'Cokes late, as seems to be the live show trend in Edmonton these days, but eventually The Pack A.D. hit the stage. This is a band I am totally unfamiliar with, and had no expectations. They appeared at first song to be a lezbo "White Stripes" based on it being two girls and a guitar/drum combo, and me being a judgmental asshole. Ends up that while a bit White Stripe-ish, they are certainly their own thing, and put on a fine set. Not fine enough for me to rush out and buy a CD at the merch table, but fine enough that I'll check them out a second time if opportunity arises and maybe eventually buy a CD. They certainly won over the crowd, and really, that's good enough eh?

Pack A.D. played a tight set of about 30 minutes (it went by fast, another good sign of a good band), then it was a piss break and time for The Sadies. Now The Sadies are near mythic in some circles, but in my hermit circle, I know them mostly from backing up others like Neko Case, John Doe, etc. Well fuck me, are they good. Ridiculously good. In a perfect world, this is what country music would be. Passionate, heartfelt and balls out, instead of the over produced ignorant hair metal that it's become. The Sadies are typically billed "Alt Country", but that's a bit of a disservice since their range is large and their powers mighty. The encore of "10 Songs" was so impressive, I think I watched it with my mouth all agape. The Good Brothers were born to play this music, and it pours out of them while they play. If it wasn't for an upcoming Flaming Lips* show in September, I would confidently declare this "Best Show of 2010". It still might be. If they come around your neck of the woods, go see them. Buy their latest album, it's not as country as their other stuff, but it's damned fine.

That's about it for this one, it's new comics Wednesday, but I got a hell of a cold and couldn't be assed into going to the comic book shop.

*My expectations for this Flaming Lips show are way to high, it's probably going to be an epic fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment