Labels

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

1001 Albums: 0521 - 0530 - Plateau


Time for another blog that only I am interested in! Phew! Been a bit of a long week and I'm still dragging my way out of it. Not the best frame of mind for a blog, but what the hell, these stupid things don't write themselves. So this one might be extra unpleasant and not funny, as opposed to the regular not funny and unpleasant you will find here.


A Walk Across The Rooftops 
0521 The Blue Nile – A Walk Across the Rooftops - A rather unimpressive pop outing. No idea why it’s on here. I don’t remember ever hearing about the band or this album and I’m going to forget about them now.


Back To Mystery City
0522 Hanoi Rocks – Back to Mystery City - Somewhere in the world lives the members of Hanoi Rocks, and they are super pissed off. This is a pretty decent part rock/metal type album that will be the bases of Poison. Poison owes this band a lot, they totally cribbed their girly looks and music style and became super popular with it. Which I never understood since I’ve always hated Poison. I didn’t love this record either, but I didn’t mind it. Which is more then I can say for Poison, Brett Michaels, C.C. Devile and everything and everyone associated with the band.




She's So Unusual
0523 Cyndi Lauper – She’s So Unusual - I imagine that people kind of snicker about this one and Cyndi since when you think “The 80’s” this is exactly what pops into your head. Lauper hit huge with this album, the track “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” was insanely popular with the video for it, “Time After Time” and “She Bop” playing practically non-stop. Hell, those videos are considered classics now, and hold up just fine. It was so popular she was able to form "The Rock n' Wrestling Connection" which finally united rock music and wrestling into one entity of awesome and kick off Wrestlemania.Aside from all that, the album too, is really dead solid and worthy of such legend. There’s not a bad track on it. The opener “Money Changes Everything” is as good as any of the big hits, and "All Through The Night" is lovely too. Heck, she even does a cute Betty Boop tribute. Really good stuff. So I'm going to hang rubber bands off my face in tribute and memory to all things Rock n' Wrestling.


Hearts And Bones
0524 Paul Simon – Hearts & Bones - The first track was called “Allergies” and it put me off the album. Which isn’t fair since it’s not that bad. It hints at something better, namely his next one “Graceland” that I’m sure will be on this list. So yeah, that’s all I got on this one. It wasn’t remarkable, though the last song “The Late Great Johnny Ace” is partially about John Lennon, so Beatle fans might want to track it down.




Porcupine (US Release) 

0525 Echo & the Bunnymen – Porcupine - More of the same from Echo and his Bunnymen.  Not a bad album, just a rather long one. 



Eliminator 
0526 ZZ Top – Eliminator - This was the second album I bought out of my own money. After this, my purchases get hazey, so don’t worry, I wont be stating "This was the __ album I purchased with my own money" on any more reviews. ZZ Top took complete advantage of music videos to re-invent themselves from a gutsy Texas blues trio to a polished synth based pop-rock outfit. It manages to totally work. Their cheeky sense of humour works in the songs. “Legs” and “Sharp Dressed Man” remain video classics, and the songs hold up too. My fave track though is “T.V. Dinner.” It didn’t get a wacky video though.



Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) 
0527 Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - We’re really hitting the MTV/Much Music era on this list! Yup, the Eurythmics hit it huge with the Fetish-y (for the time) video title track. The rest of the album though was not that great. It doesn’t sound cohesive, and Sweet Dreams stands out so much that the rest feels like filler.



War 
0528 U2 – War - The massively popular band makes their list debut with this one. It’s easy to snicker at U2 these days, that’s the price you pay for getting super rich and super famous and having "The Irish Blowhard" Bono as your leader. People ready to write them off as shit based on their last decade or so of work should really check this out. It has the hit that made them superstars (totally guessing) “Sunday Bloody Sunday” and the not as popular “New Years Day” on it, which are both great songs. The rest of the album holds up. Yup, they're young, earnest and there’s a bit a naivete at play here, but they also fully believe in what they are doing. That music can really change the world. So hats off to Bono, The Edge and the other two guys with boring normal names, well done on this!



Synchronicity  
0529 The Police – Synchronicity - I believe this is the last album by The Police. Which means that if Sting ever appears on this list again, it will be as a shitty solo artist. Thankfully this album is as good as the other Police albums. It has mega hit “Every Breath You Take” on it, but my fave is “Mother”. That song is crazy! As a side note, Sting does a better version of “Murder By Numbers” on Frank Zappa's “Broadway The Hard Way” album. Actually, “Broadway The Hard Way” is way better then this, so go listen to it instead.



Meat Puppets II 
0530 Meat Puppets – II - A band I remember hearing about but never really listened to. Then Nirvana covered “Lake Of Fire” and everyone continued to not listen to them. Anyways, this album was great. Super great. As in I listened to it 3 times. Not a bad song on it, and it plays great as a cohesive whole. Loved it. GREAT!


So there it is. I know. This blog needs to improve. I'm open to any suggestions. Maybe I need happy pills.I'm feeling a little desperate since this blog got stolen by some bot on another site and generated zero views. That's a good sign you're doing something worthwhile huh? Write a blog no one reads? I'm too far in to quit though. Fuck! FUCK FUCK FUCK! Why isn't anything satisfactory anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment