Labels

Friday, August 12, 2011

1001 Albums: 0481 - 0490 - No Sleepin'!

Been busy busy busy, but the project never sleeps! Here's an update! We are about to crush the top 500 albums. Be brave dear friends! We can do this! YES!

Beauty And The Beat (30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) [+Digital Booklet]
0481 The Go-Gos – Beauty & the Beat - It’s really hard not to love the Go-Gos. None of what they do is great, but it’s just so god damned much fun! And Belinda Carlisle is a total crush object, never mind Jane Wiedin. So yeah, this is a like, BUT MOSTLY FOR THE MUSIC! I am not a pig, thank you very much!

No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
0482 Motörhead – No Sleep ‘Til Hammersmith - Jesus Christ, this was better then “Ace Of Spades”! Absolutely no complaints, this live offering might be the their best album.

Non Stop Erotic Cabaret (Deluxe Edition)
0483 Soft Cell – Non Stop Erotic Cabaret - Probably best known for “Tainted Love”, because it’s one of the greatest songs to come out of the 80’s. While no other song on this album, or possible written since, is as irresistible as that song, the whole album is just as good and interesting. The songs are quite clever. This was good.

Architecture & Morality
0484 Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality - With all good synth-pop like Soft Cell, you must also take the bad, which is what I thought of this one. Just didn’t do a thing for me with it’s dreamy synths and kind of annoying sounds. Blech.

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
0485 Brian Eno & David Byrne – My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - I had high hopes for this one, and of course was disappointed. The idea of Byrne’s Talking Heads type cracked pop mixed with Eno’s own clever sounds is really intriguing. The result though was no pop and more of a sound collage type of bleepy music. It was boring.

Damaged [Explicit]
0486 Black Flag – Damaged - This is the album that put Henry Rollins on the map. that might be a great thing or a terrible thing depending on your thoughts on Mr. Rollins. I’m a bit of a fan, but just a bit. This album though, is a bit mixed. There’s some great moments mixed with really juvenile moments. Which makes sense considering the age of this.

Wild Gift [Explicit]
0487 X – Wild Gift - These guys are more legendary then I think they deserve to be. Not that I didn’t like this, I did, it just doesn’t seem as amazing as other things on this list. I’m being unfair.

Talk Talk Talk
0488 Psychedelic Furs – Talk, Talk, Talk - It should be apparent that I carry a lot of prejudice to my listening habit. I brought it to this one, figuring it would be awful. It was actually really good. More rock based then I thought it would be, and it has that “Pretty In Pink” song it’s the only Furs album you’ll ever need to own.

Dare!
0489 Human League – Dare - Of course the Human League are brilliant because they invented music.

Fire of Love
0490 Gun Club – Fire of Love - As of this writing, I don’t remember a thing about this.

Coming soon- The 500th Album Wham-Bam! It probably wont be as exciting as that last sentence. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment