Labels

Monday, April 18, 2011

1001 Albums: 0370 - 0379: My Nightmare Came True

I knew I would screw this up, and I did. Now none of my ones of readers will realize this, but I seem to be off by a number. I think. Based on how I have these numbered in my MP3 player, and how they are listed here, I'm off by one. I'm guessing I doubled up a number somewhere on this blog, but I'll be damned where that happened. Damn it all! Anyways, I know for a fact that I haven't missed an album, so I'm still hitting this fine, and I'm going to continue on like nothing is wrong. The last post in this blog might end up being 1002, or 1000. It's just the way it's going to roll. We have to hold each others hands, and comfort each other in the knowledge that despite appearances, I am not perfect. The world is not perfect and mistakes will happen. Now lets hang our head in mutual shame and see what is in this ten pack.

Trans Europe Express (2009 Digital Remaster)
0370 Kraftwerk – Trans-Europe Express - Krautrockers Kraftwerk are back again! Apparently it's OK to call German bands "Krautrock" since it's on Wikipedia. So I don't want to hear any complaints or accusations that I'm racist. Anyways, this one was not that good. I think the novelty that was "Autobahn" wore off, because the singing parts on this was annoying, and the bloopy beeps bits were also annoying. None of it was charming. So this one is a pass. NOTE- The album art is wrong, blame Kraftwork, they keep changing stuff.

The Stranger
0371 Billy Joel – The Stranger - Billy Joel has been the punchline to many a joke that I have made. And never in a positive way. Which is really unfair of me, because it ends up that this is really good. It's rather sophisticated and over produced, but I liked it. That's about it.

Exodus (Dlx) (Dig)
0372 Bob Marley & the Wailers – Exodus - Alright, Bob Marley has officially over stayed his welcome on this list. All these albums sound the same. All the songs practically sound the same. The message- ALL THE SAME! No more Bob Marley please!

Out Of The Blue
0373 Electric Light Orchestra – Out of the Blue - This is Jeff Lynn's band. You may not know who that is, but he's responsible for producing a ton of hit records (which equals one of each) by George Harrison and Tom Petty in the 80's. So it's neat to hear him making those sounds back in 77 or whatever year this list is for. The bad news though is this was a double album and it goes on to long.

Heavy Weather
0374 Weather Report – Heavy Weather - This is a jazz album, and it's the type of jazz that people who hate jazz like to point at to describe why they hate jazz music. It sounds like peppy 70's sitcom music, until it starts to go free form and really shitty. So pass on this one.

Hard Again (Exp)
0375 Muddy Waters – Hard Again - Holy shit this was great! Really great! Muddy Waters totally owns the blues on this, the band is loud and tight, yet it all comes off incredibly loose and juicy. So if you want to know what electric blues can be like, GET THIS ALBUM!

Rattus Norvegicus
0376 The Stranglers – Rattus Norvegicus - A fairly decent punk offering. This stands out from other punk in sounding rather accomplished and oddly American with songs about going to the beach. I'm guessing they are making fun of that sort of thing. Anyways, it's better then I thought it would be, but I doubt I'll ever listen to it again outside of a list.

The Clash (US Version)
0377 The Clash – The Clash (1st Album) - I've been a big fan of The Clash since Junior High (about 50 years.) so this one wasn't a surprise. I loved it again as I've loved it before. Joe Strummer had the best voice for punk rock. Not a bad track on here, this raw first album is dead solid. And recommended! (Note - The link on this one is for the American version, which is still pretty good)

Low
0378 David Bowie – Low - This one was basically a bunch of droning instrumentals, and the song "Sound & Vision". It's the start of something that is called "The Berlin Trilogy" and is considered highly influential. It was boring and completely forgettable.

Aja
0379 Steely Dan – Aja - Steely Dan can fuck off.

Well that's it. Not a great list of albums admittedly. Maybe if I enjoyed the albums more I wouldn't of made a mistake somewhere in the numbering. That works for me, blame the list itself! Bwaa ha haaa!

4 comments:

  1. Here you went from 173 - 175 without 174 http://ruzzellsrambles.blogspot.com/2010/12/1001-albums-141-175-rest-of-60s.html

    This list is a bit annoying for how often some bands appear. I know 1001 is a lot, but not compared to how many albums have been made by lots of different artists. I think more variation would have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad that you actually went back and found the mistake since I couldn't be bothered. I'll send out a prize!

    The list is annoying, but at least it's multiple original albums by the same artist. The Rolling Stone 500 included greatest hits. So you'd listen to 2 Otis Redding albums, then a 3 cd set which repeats songs. Or worse, a 10 disc Hank Williams set, followed by a 2 disc hits collection. That rolling Stone list was truly horrible, where as this one is mostly mediocre. So hopefully Bob Marley Legend doesn't show up no here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's what friends are for. And hey, you;re the one that has to go to and correct all the numbers from then :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see myself going back fixing all these... I'll make a second error on the next blog ha ha. It's so annoying because I was trying to be extra careful this whole time. :(

    ReplyDelete