Labels

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

1001 Albums: 0327 - 0336, It's 1975 Now

Hello Chippers! Another ten pack of songs to go through. It's 1975, and music is all over the place. This ended up being a real mixed bunch. Genre was all over the place. It was also mostly good. So here they are my lovelies, the first chunk of 1975!

Another Green World
0327 Eno, Brian – Another Green World - "Here Come The Warm Jets" was a nice start to 1974. This one was not! All the things I liked on his previous album were missing here. This album seems to mark Eno's steps into ambient music. Ambient music by it's very nature tends to be music that doesn't draw attention to itself, and that's exactly what this does. I've already forgotten it.

Go Girl Crazy
0328 Dictators – Go Girl Crazy! - This was great. Imagine your favourite loudmouthed heel wrestler recording an obnoxious frat rock album, and this would be it. Their cover of "California Sun" is my new favourite, and the rest of the songs about drinking and girls are just as great.

Neu! 75
0329 Neu! – ‘75 - Ambient music from a couple of guys from Kraftwork, only not as good.

Physical Graffiti
0330 Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffiti - Zep's first double album is a pretty solid affair. Hits Like Kashmir appear here, but I can't help but think it would be better as a single.

Koln Concert
0331 Jarrett, Keith – Köln Concert - I'm so mixed on this one! It's a solo piano concert. The music is a mix of sounding like the start of songs where people are warming up, and sometimes it has a nice melody. I'm shocked that I have to say I liked this! I usually hate this modern jazz type stuff, but this was more classical sounding. Maybe.

Toys in the Attic
0332 Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic - This is the third album put out by American Idol host Steven Tyler's band, but it might as well be their first. It has the title track, "Sweet Emotion" and Run DMC's "Walk This Way" on it, so I can't imagine there being much more Aerosmith that anyone needs. It also features a cover of "Big Ten Inch" that Steven Tyler claimed to have wrote on an Idol show a couple of weeks ago. The fool! Oh, the record is pretty good by the way if you like American rock type stuff.

Young Americans
0333 Bowie, David – Young Americans - It opens with the awesome title track, and closes with "Fame". In between are songs that sound nothing like the beloved Ziggy Stardust, and instead seem to be inventing disco. It all completely works! Except for his terrible cover of "Across The Universe", that song was not designed to be screamed out in a soul singer kind of way. The rest though, is good stuff.

Marcus Garvey
0334 Burning Spear – Marcus Garvey - It's another reggae album. It's a bit more funky then the previously listed Bob Marley, yet manages to be even more political. Or more angry political at least. It was alright, but this reggae stuff tends to wash over me.

Born To Run
0335 Springsteen, Bruce – Born to Run - I was never a big Springsteen fan - in fact you could argue that I hated The Boss at one time - but there is no denying that this is a great record. It's full of Rock & Roll love, and there's not really a bad track on it.

Pieces Of The Sky (Remastered)
0336 Harris, Emmylou – Pieces of the Sky - I was a little surprised to see Emmylou show up here. Not that I don't think she has a fantastic voice, she does. I just don't think I ever heard anyone talk up any of her albums. This was a great one. Dead solid folk/country, even the cover songs were fantastic. Great job!

So it's a tie between The Dictators and Emmylou Harris. I probably should of been picking the "Best Of The Packs" since the beginning. I haven't really thought this project through. Too late!

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment