Labels

Thursday, October 21, 2010

1001 Albums: 111-120

Here's another batch. I'm tired, so no blathering. This is the utilitarian post.

0111 Shankar, Ravi – Sounds of India (1968)
This is what I wanted to hear in that other Indian album! Fast, peppy songs that zip along faster then night of bad tandoori. Anyways, Ravi gibber jabbers a bit before each song, explaining what your about to listen to, but really, who cares, this was pretty sweet, toe tapping Indian music. Recommended over that one from the last pack anyways.

0112 Mutantes, os – Mutantes, os (1st Album)
As stated previously, I tend not to like albums that are sung in languages that I don't understand (IE: Anything not in English). This one though, which I think is mostly in Portuguese, was pretty good. It's musically interesting enough to hold my interest so that I don't get annoyed with not knowing what the songs are about. Not sure I'll give it a second spin though.

0113 Hendrix, Jimi – Electric Ladyland
I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that the entire output of "The Jimi Hendrix Experience made the list. That said, this one never did much for me either. Like his previous album, it's got a couple of stand out tracks, and a bunch that are just kind of there. Because this one's a double, theirs a lot of "meh" to get through to the good stuff.

0114 Cohen, Leonard – Songs of Leonard Cohen
Ahh Leonard Cohen! People either love you or hate you. I'm in the love camp. He has a voice that has no business singing a song, and just make his songs sound that more meaningful. Literate, passionate folk on here, I've always liked this album and continue to.

0115 Cash, Johnny – At Folsom Prison
This is one of those albums where I find it odd that there are people around who haven't actually heard it. Even if you're not a country fan, it's so atmospheric, it's worth at least one spin. That says it all. If your curious, get the original release and prepare to be impressed. If you want more of a commitment, then get the expanded version, it flows better and the added songs are great. My favorite though, is the Legacy edition featuring the entire concert on two discs. At any rate, check it out.

0116 Nyro, Laura – Eli & the Thirteenth Confession
I don't really know what to think of this album frankly. She's kind of a Joni Mitchel singer/songwriter type. Her songs though are more peppy and polished, playing almost like over produced Motown at times. Her voice though, isn't quite good enough to pull it off, so yeah, it's hard to know what to think with Laura. It's not terribly bad, but not exceptional enough for me to want to give it a second go anytime soon either.

0117 Franklin, Aretha – Lady Soul
Like the previous Franklin album, this was awesome. It's so good, Franklin is still known as LAdy Soul. Nuff said.

0118 Blue Cheer – Vincebus Eruptum
Appears to be a trio, all fuzzed out and in love with their peddles, but not convincing enough players to pull it off. Made me think of what Rush might of sounded like in Junior High. Their cover of Summertime Blues also did nothing to win me over. This stuff might of been great with a head full of acid before a dead show, but for me, it's a meh.

0119 Byrds – Notorious Byrd Brothers
I really liked this one. They are starting to tone down the gimmicks a bit, and it makes everything better. That said, my favourite song on here is "Wasn't born to follow", which is more freaky them most of the album.

0120 Big Brother & the Holding Company – Cheap Thrills
About as good as Janice gets for me. It's fuzzed out blues, but good fuzzed out blues. I liked the album cover more though...

No comments:

Post a Comment