Labels

Friday, August 20, 2010

1001 Albums: 54-63

Late posting of my last blog means a double blog week you lucky finks! This one is packed with some of my favorite albums, and a couple of completely dull ones! Huzzah for asshole opinions on the internets!

0054 King, B.B. – Live at the Regal
I think this is the record that made B.B. a huge star. Or maybe it wasn't. It is pretty good, with young B.B. sounding pretty much like he does now. Which is a very very good thing. These are some pleasant, non-challenging blues that fit a light hearted evening, so crack a beer and enjoy.

0055 Beatles, The – Rubber Soul
You pretty much expect every Beatle album on lists like this, so I guess the 1001ers are showing a little restraint here. This isn't my favorite Beatles, that one is coming up. It's not a bad one, and as far as Beatles go it is important as it shows growth and sophistication. It pales to the other one in this block though, so I'm shutting up.

0056 Jansch, Bert – Bert Jansch (1st Album)
I listened to this earlier in the week, and I don't remember a thing about it. So fuck Jansch, he's a boring folky. Or a boring jazz guy.... or maybe a lame rock guy... ummm.....

0057 Byrds, The - Mr Tambourine Man
People forget, but in 1965 the 3 B's ruled the charts; The Beatles, The Beach Boys and these guys, The Byrds. The Byrds hit huge with a gentle folk rock sound and the title track, a Dylan cover. That's the problem I have with this one, all the best songs, and four of the twelve tracks, are Bob Dylan songs. The Dylan versions are all better. So you're left with the band which is ok with some great harmonies, but when compared to the other B's, this album is a bit pale. They get much better and more interesting to look at.

0058 Dylan, Bob – Highway 61 Revisited
Bob rocks out with his cock out on this one in the most barn burning, unapologetic way. It's great stuff, featuring some of his most popular songs. It's been a favorite of mine for a long time, and continues to be.

0059 Who, The – My Generation
I love The Who, and I love this album. I still remember buying this in it''s original Mono mix on vinyl back in 1989, NOT 1964 SINCE I'M NOT THAT OLD! I was shocked by it. It sounds nothing like what you think The Who sound like based on their more popular hits. It's deadly good, hard rolling R&B that is closer to the previously reviewed "The Sonics" then it is to their Brit contemporaries The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Packed full of awesome covers and the originals are even better. Recommended!

0060 Beatles, The – Revolver
Here we go! You can skip "Rubber Soul" because this is The Beatles best album. Every track is good, and the whole thing sounds different from anything they've done before. It's a huge leap, and a great leap to listen too. Recommended.

0061 Beach Boys, The – Pet Sounds
People call this the greatest pop album ever made. I'm madly in love with it so I'm not going to argue. I've listened to it it's original mono, a nice stereo remix and a fancy 5.1 surround mix, and regardless of the mix, the huge emotional, heartfelt love of Brian Wilson shines through every note of the amazing arrangements. The Beach Boys would never sound better, without it The Beatles wouldn't of done Sgt. Pepper to top it, and a part of pop music has never sounded as pretty since. Highly recommended.

0062 Neil, Fred – Fred Neil (1st Album)
I was confused about the inclusion of this since it's pretty dull folk shit. Then I recognized a song from (I think) "Cool Hand Luke", and got annoyed since that shouldn't really be enough for this pussy crap to appear on the list. This is a no thank.

0063 Byrds, The – Fifth Dimension
Skip the debut, this is a better Byrds record. It has the "Hey, Mr. Spaceman" song on it. That's about it, still a bit of the same from that debut, just better and not as much of a Bob Dylan jukebox. The main problem with this one though is, the guy playing the lead guitar solos sucks. Some of the most crap playing you'll here. It also sounds dated compared to The Beach Boys and The Beatles, so it's no wonder why no one remembers these guys anymore.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the Beatles. Their earliest ones were really not that interesting. And lol on your Jansch review...yeah I wasn't much of a fan earlier.

    Dang, at this rate you're going to lap me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get to have a commute to work that allows for a couple of albums a day ha ha. When I catch up to you I'll slow down, deal?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a bit of The Who :)
    Also, Mr F. Wall is rather a Beach Boys fan - at least I'm pretty sure we have Pet Sounds. I dunno whether Smile will turn up on the list, or whether you already have it anyway, but I am pretty sure my better half would recommend it given your fondness for the Beach Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pet Sounds. No Smile on this list since it never got released until Robot Brian Wilson re-recorded it. I do have about 5 different recreations of Beach Boy era bootlegs though, and all of them are amazing and gorgeous. It's a shame those tracks don't get a release!

    Have you listened to Pet Sounds yet? I recommend turning the lights out, lying down and just let it waft over you, there's magic in that album :)

    ReplyDelete